Sunday, March 29, 2015

DIY Kimono


Hello beautiful people! Kimono-style tops are a light and easy way to layer in the spring and summer months. I love the effortless look that kimonos can give any outfit. They can be paired with tanks, swimsuits, and dresses. After looking at many different kimono's, I saw that the shape and pattern were quite simple. I basically drew on the fabric itself and cut it out. You will be surprised at how easy it is to make your own!

Materials


  • 1 1/2 yards of lightweight fabric- fits small to large ( mine is from Jo-Ann's ) 
  • Matching thread
  • Scissors
  • Needle
  • Pins
  • Fringe or lace
 a. 1 1/2 yards
 b. 14 inches 
 c. 16- 20 inches depending on length of torso
 d. 10-14 inches depending on how close you want the fit


Step 1

Fold your 1 1/2 yards of fabric in half. Measure (a) by (b) and (c)

Step 2

Measure (c) and (d) on both sides and cut out the rectangles. Cut a straight line down the middle. Create an opening as big as you'd like. Make sure to only cut the front of the kimono!
Step 3

Place pins along the side seams. To prevent fraying fold a half an inch in for the opening seams and pin.

Step 4

Begin to sew along the pinned line ( I hand stitched this, but a sewing machine would be much quicker). You may also use fabric glue if you have trouble sewing, but once you get the needle threaded and tied, it is a piece of cake.

Step 5
OPTIONAL: I thought this step gave the kimono a little more character, so I added fringe along the sleeves. All you need to do is pin and sew! Then you are done!! 





I hope you enjoy making your Kimono as much as I did. I already plan on making some more! I'd love to see your Kimonos' if you make one! Make sure to tag me on instagram @missmariaelizabeth ,if you make one!

xo,
Maria Elizabeth








No comments:

Post a Comment